Skip to main content

be open minded

open mind


This was one of the advice I had received when I first starting reading books on motivation, improvement, and finance. I used to think it was easy to be receptive, since I did not know anything. I was only half right.

As the amount of books I read increased, I started to subscribe to some school of thoughts. This became a barrier. It is becoming tougher to keep an opened mind. Recently, I began reading a book on stock picking, based on growth investing and picking momentum stocks. Some of the theories stated were contradictory to those I have read before from value investing books. All of a sudden, I found myself debating against the theories of the book. As I was about to put the book away and write off the book as one being 'senseless', I was reminded of the quote above.

Remain open minded. You do not have to agree with everything you hear or read, but at least be open to the different school of thoughts. This way, you can learn about how others think, and maybe even take away some pointers which could be useful.

Popular posts from this blog

Ulysses Pact - how to prevent your future self from screwing up

Ulysses (aka Odysseus) is a Greek hero and King in Homer's Odyssey  which describes his journey home after a long, drawn out war. Along the way, his ship had to pass by the Sirens, whose songs were said entice sailors to change course and suffer a shipwreck.  Like any of us, he was curious about the Sirens' songs and he wanted to hear them for himself.  But he also wanted to make it back home without a shipwreck.  What did he do?  Source: Wikipedia As the captain of his ship, he ordered all his men to cover their ears with wax so that they do not get seduced by the Sirens' songs. Next, he made a pact with his men to bind him up on the mast, to ignore his demands of changing the course of the ship while they passed the Sirens and to have their swords on hand in case he breaks free from the mast.  They survived the journey passed the Sirens without a shipwreck.  This became known as Ulysses Pact or Ulysses Contract - a decision made in free-will today,...

the slight edge

The Slight Edge Was introduced to this concept recently. Will have to read Jeff Olson's The Slight Edge to find out more. Basically, the idea is that small simple actions that is done daily will compound over time and are the reasons behind becoming the elusive 5% (the successful population). These small simple actions done daily, gives the 5% of people, The Slight Edge, which over time, leads to a Hugh difference. The main reason why the 95% of us are still where we are, or not as successful as the 5%, is that these small simple actions, although simple to do, also tend to be simple NOT to do. Thus, over time, it becomes a Hugh difference, in the downward direction. Its a very interesting idea, and a great challenge. Set yourself a small simple action that you can do daily, and let's see how long you can keep to it! Leave a comment below to let us know about your progress!

Midlife Crisis at work - who's to blame?

There are many causes of midlife crisis.  But if the workplace is the main trigger, it could very well the fault of the manager.  At least that's what Lencioni suggests in his book:  3 Signs of a Miserable Job Using a long fable to illustrate his triangle of job misery, Lencioni has kept me on edge for a good 2+ hours as I followed the journey of Brian and his adventures to revitalize a small single owner restaurant and a chain of sports stores using: The Triangle of Job Misery Lencioni busts the myth about the role of a manager, which is often assumed to be to strategize and push profitability or pushing papers and reporting on financials.  Rather than the above, a manager should...manage.  And the Triangle of Job Misery gives managers a simple framework to manage their team. They should aim to reduce the following. Irrelevance: This is when a member feels as though their work isn't important or relevant. People need to be needed, and they need to be told so of...